I Nyoman Putra Ardhana (MANTRA)
Mantra, as he calls himself, was born on the 22nd August 1971 on the Indonesian island Lombok. He is Balinese Hindu and an active painter and musician.
In a very young age he was struck by polio and since then he depends on a wheel chair.
Being disabled in Indonesia is a rather difficult situation. There is nothing such as support from the government or even society. Mantra’s determination and will power alone made him the outstanding talent he now is.
In 1989 he visited the Fine Arts High School in Batu Bulan, Bali for 4 years and was then accepted by the prestigious Indonesian Institute of Arts in Yogyakarta. He graduated in 1999 with a BA in Fine Arts.
After graduation he returned to his home island Lombok realizing that this beautiful and colorful island comprised of enormous richness in traditional elements interesting to implement into his art forms.
He then started to experiment with different concepts creating music combined with visual art using his own perspective.
Mantra’s dream is to bring the rather unknown ethnic elements of Lombok music on the global map for music lovers to appreciate unique traditional elements combined with contemporary accents with an aura of world music.
Regarding his paintings, Mantra says:
“I have been consciously searching for some principles in my artistic life. The search has been among abstract issues manifesting themselves as spontaneous symbols resulting from the mind so severely repressed by automatism. They generally bring forth the language of the body by reflex, as I have myself experienced it.”
Among the symptoms of automatism are the dream world; a term ordinarily associated by some people with communication between the unconscious and the psyche.
~ E x h i b i t i o n s and Performances ~
Music Performance in Crocodile Villa in Meninting Lombok, CCTA Artist in Residence Program
Music Performance and painting exhibition in Sangkring art space Yogakarta
Solo Concert SUARAMANTRA at Taman Budaya Mataram Lombok
Painting exhibition at Tony Raka Ubud Bali
Painting exhibition TERMOGRAM at NEKA Museum, Ubud, Bali
Exhibition in the Netherlands at Gerrit van den Berk KUNST
Exhibition at FLAMAN ART GALLERY ‘t College, Netherlands
• Exhibition TERMOGRAM with SANGGAR DEWATA INDONESIA at MUSEUM NEKA Ubud, Bali
• Exhibition at Malinda Gallery, Jakarta
• Exhibition at Oberoi Hotel, Lombok
. Exhibition in Belgium KUNSTGALERIJ De NEERPLAATS
• Exhibition at Museum Lombok
• Exhibition at Virtual Gallery www.artistsownregistry.com.au
• Outdoor Exhibition at Holiday Inn, Lombok with SUARAMANTRA music.
• Exhibition at Malinda Gallery, Jakarta
. Contemporary Music Event in the Department of Culture, Lombok.[suaramantra]
• Solo Exhibition at Sika Gallery in Ubud, Bali
• Exhibition at Malinda Gallery, Singapore
• Exhibition of the group Prasidha 93 in Museum Benteng Vredeburg Yogyakarta
• Exhibition with Sanggar Dewata Indonesia in six different museums in Ubud/Bali to celebrate the third Millenium and the year 2000
• Exhibition of the 28th anniversary of Sanggar Dewata Indonesia in the Museum Benteng Vredeburg Yogyakarta
• Exhibition with Sanggar Dewata at Taman Budaya Surakarta Solo
• Exhibition with Sanggar Dewata Indonesia at Sika Gallery in Ubud, Bali
• Exhibition of the group 7 at Sika Gallery in Ubud Bali
• Exhibition of the group 7 at Bentara Budaya in Yogyakarta
• Exhibition at the museum of Nyoman Gunarsa in Yogyakarta
• Exhibition at the Institute of Art for the second Anniversary in Yogyakarta
• Exhibition 25 years Sanggar Dewata Indonesia at Purna Budaya Yogyakarta
• Exhibition black and white at the Showroom of the Indonesian Institute of Art and Design inYogyakarta
• Exhibition of the “small “ Paintings at the Indonesian Institute of Art
• Exhibition with a young group of artists at Purna Budaya Yogyakarta
• Exhibition of Afandiprize at Purna Budaya Yogyakarta
• Exhibition with SDI ( Sanggar Dewata Indonesia ) at museum Nyoman Gunarsa in Bali
• Exhibition with the group Prasidha at Bentara Budaya Yogyakarta